Thursday, August 26, 2010

Report from New York!

Howdy ya'll!
Yup. That's right. I've been hangin out with so many southern folk that I've been working on my "ya'll." In fact tonight at dinner some friends asked me and another Northwester what we said when we wanted to get "ya'll" across to someone...and the best we could come up with was "you guys." LAaaaaaaaaame.

Anyways, here's what's going on! I'll break you down on my average day:

8 am- Wakeup, shower, breakfast
9:15-Bible Study
10:15-Break
10:30-Discernment, quiet time
Noon: Lunchtime!
1:30-Seminar till 5!
5 pm-Break
6-Dinner
7-Small Group
8-Vespers (closing nightly worship)
9-etc...Free time

As you can tell, our days are just packed! We actually spend a lot of time sitting and listening, so it's been important that we find ways to run, take personal time, etc. But, even though the seminars are really long, they've actually been quite informative! I'm jealous of the folks that have already been to their sites for a week or so before coming here--it would make it easier to focus on the specific things they're talking about! However, all of my roommates are INCREDIBLE! I have really enjoyed spending time with them already...it makes me even more excited for the year!

At this point, it's feeling like it's about time to get out there on the job....No more talking about it. Lets do it!

At one point we were talking about self-care...making sure that we're taking care of ourselves despite the temptation to martyr/sacrifice (not literally, but you know what I mean) ourselves because of all the needs we see around us. We talked about taking care of your mind, your spirit, and your body--what do you need to rejuvenate? For me,
I decided that when my mind needs me to write, my body needs me to relax (for a lot of people this is exercise, but for me, I'm doing physical labor everyday, so it'll be more important to just relax), and my spirit needs me to get away. One of the first things on my list when I get to Tucson is to climb the highest point I can find....for some reason I always need to do that!

Ok, that's all the time I have for now! I've taken walks the last two nights down to the waterfront of the Hudson (last night to clean off after playing frisbee in the mud) and it's been really beautiful. However, it is a nice little 4 mile hike, so I've been sleeping well. :)

Until next time...keep dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment